Orient Bell has been at the forefront of technological innovations. We, at OBL, capitalize existing resources to innovate products that are unique in appeal, aesthetics and application. Orient Bell has four patented pending technologies to its name.
Patent Application No. : Cool Tiles : 4165/CHE/2012
Cool Tiles - Solar Heat Reflecting Tiles
What is SRI & COOL ROOF?
- SRI (Solar Reflective Index) measures a roof’s ability to reject solar heat (reflectance) and the ability to emit heat out (emittance).
- Cool roofs reflect and emit the sun heat instead of absorbing it.
- A cool roof is one that reflects the sun’s heat and emits absorbed radiation back into the atmosphere. This will keep the inside building cooler.
- The U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED 2.2 uses SRI as a way to evaluate a cool roof. To get LEED accreditation, buildings should use a roof with minimum SRI value of 78.
- Orient Cool Tiles have an amazing SRI value of 103 which is unheard of in any tile in the world.
- Orient Cool Tiles on the roof of a building can reduce inside building temperature by 10 to 20 degree centigrade.
Orient has invented a technology and filed worldwide patent to make a tile reflect almost entire solar heat. This has been achieved by using zirconium and other special minerals in the glaze and devising a special process to fuse these minerals in the glaze in a special intricate structure.
Does white matt tiles cool?
No, Although Orient Cool Tiles are available in white colour and matt finish, they can be made in other light colour with a little lesser SRI value. White colour has better solar reflective qualities. However, the real invention in Orient Cool Tiles is not to tile colour but the materials used, tile making process and the special structure of the surface. Cool Tiles have much higher SRI value than other whiter looking paints, tiles or other materials.
Benefits of Cool Tiles
- Reduce inside building temperature by 10 to 20 degrees centigrade.
- Provide better indoor comfort.
- Save electricity. You can calculate savings in any Indian city at
- Lower power demand.
- Save burning fossil fuel by power plants.
- Lower emission of green house and CFC gases.
- Reduction in global warming and saving of ozone layer.
- Reduce conduction of heat into building.
- Reduce convection of heat into outside air and formation of bad lower level ozone.
Where to Use?
- On the roof of any building.
- These can be used on wall of a building which are directly exposed to sunlight.